1. A modern car travels past the home of Dr. E.E. French at 807 Main Street during Bentleyville’s 85th anniversary parade in 1901. This photo was donated to the historical society by Dr. French’s niece, Betty Huffman Dreyer.
2. In 1960, everyone in Bentleyville was selling caramels or buying caramels to help Bentleyville win a nationwide contest sponsored by Kraft. Motorists traveling through Bentleyville often stopped in the middle of town to purchase caramels from girls at the intersection of Main and Washington streets.
3. On December 15, 1960, Sinso Scicchitano, Boyd Marsteller, Joseph Getto and J. Barry Stout, members of the Bentleyville Booster Club, visited Clyde Finney, the manager of Peoples Union Bank in Bentleyville to deposit their $20,000 check from Kraft. The town had just recently sold 55,319 bags of caramels; enough candy to make them the nationwide winners of the contest. The money was used to help build a ball park, which was named Caramel Park.
4. October 17, 1960, the residents of Bentleyville found out that by selling 55,319 bags of caramels they had won a nationwide contest and would receive money to help build a baseball park. This picture shows one of the many cars that traveled through town during the celebration that followed the announcement of the winners. The money was used to help build Caramel Park.
5. The replica of a Little League ball field shown here represents the first prize won by Bentleyville in a 1960 contest sponsored by Kraft Foods Co. Pictured at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, left to right, are Todd Wiggins, James Bane, Ed Hudock, Neal Kubula, Karl Skrypak, James Marsteller, Chris Preisendorfer, Ray Adams and Ron Frankoff, all members of the Clover Farm minor league team, and Joseph Getto, president of the Bentleyville Boosters Club and Lee Esch, Kraft district sales manager, who represented the company.
6. In the summer of 1909, this group of men took a break while laying bricks along Main Street, in front of the Bentleyville Presbyterian Church. This postcard was submitted by Dave D’Orazio.
7. This post card of Main Street, looking north in Bentleyville, shows horse-drawn carts near the drug store. The steeple, in the background, belongs to the Bentleyville United Methodist Church. This photo was submitted by Dave D’Orazio.
8. The Bentleyville Truck Stop, built in the 1960s was a landmark along Interstate 70 for many years. The truck stop served as a gathering place for locals as well as those who were traveling through Pennsylvania. It was open 24 hours a day and was known as a great place to meet friends while enjoying a piece of pie. This photo was taken on Sept. 3, 1995, the day the truck stop was razed to make way for the Pilot Travel Center. This photo was taken by Doug Edington.
9. A group of young men enjoyed a bit of ice skating in Ellsworth in the early 1900s. Pictured behind the men is the Ellsworth Colliery building. This photo was submitted by Mildred Weir.
10. In 1916, Clyde Amos posed for this photo on the old Amos farm in Scenery Hill, when he was on his way to pick up Ada Bane for their first date. The couple married a year later. The photo is owned by Connie Amos Gettings of Charleroi, the granddaughter of Clyde and Ada Amos, and the daughter of Ken and Ruth Amos of Bentleyville.
11. In the early 1900s travelers and visitors to the area would spend the night at the Ellsworth Hotel. The hotel was built by James W. Ellsworth of Chicago, who built the Ellsworth Mine in 1900. This photo was submitted by Mildred Weir.
12. The Westside Trolley once made stops in Ellsworth, Bentleyville and Charleroi and was part of the Pittsburgh Railways Co. Interurban System. The trolley stopped running around 1933. Five-year-old Jean Synder Durko and her father Elroy Snyder are pictured with the conductor at the stop in Ellsworth, near the current location of the Ellsworth Commons building. The sign on the glass place of the trolley reads, “Bentleyville.” The photo, which was taken sometime around 1920, was submitted by Clara Ross Ramsey.
14. Sam Baxter, a local businessman, is pictured standing on the back of a horse-drawn cart as he delivers ice to one of his many customers in Bentleyville. This photo was submitted by his nephew Kay Stepp of Scenery Hill. The date of the photo is unknown, but we know it was taken the when the average house had an ice box in the kitchen.
15. The corner of Main and Washington streets in Bentleyville is shown on this postcard, which also features a nice view of Stanley Bell’s Ford Garage. The photo was submitted by Connie Amos Gettings of Charleroi.
16. The Acme No. 1, Pittsburgh Westmoreland Coal Company, was located in the northern section of Bentleyville, behind the property where King’s Restaurant is located today. The shaft of the mine was sunk in 1906 and was originally called the Braznell Mine. In 1908, the mining operation was sold to the Pittsburgh-Wheeling Coal Company and was soon known as the Acme Mine. Today the property is owned by Joe Ross.
This website was created by Kate Marodi.